6:05 PM


PETA is at it again. This time, however, they aren’t throwing powder on celebrities wearing fur or posting billboards of nude celebrities who opt to take a stand with them. They are simply opposing an “offensive” ad. Because it’s PETA, this outcry was destined to make front page news.

The Wednesday food section of New York Times displayed a chicken ad. The chicken was posed seductively, almost as if it were a pin-up girl. It was laying on its side with its arm propping up the body and one leg crossed over the other. The headline for the ad said, “Chicken’s Attraction Is Truly Skin Deep.”

Naturally, PETA found this ad offensive.

“When I saw it I just couldn't believe that an editor of 'The New York Times' would find it acceptable,” said PETA’s president, Ingrid Newkirk.

The ad, while positioned a little seductively, seemed perfectly harmless to me. But then again, I am not a member of PETA. I agree that there should be a group that takes a stand against animal cruelty and even the unsafe conditions of most animal feedlots. I do not agree in taking it to the extremes.

The article I read does not say who the advertisement belonged to, nor does it tell its readers if the organization practices unsafe breeding or slaughter. So then, where is PETA’s problem? I think PETA has a knack for going overboard and that the media is partly to blame for this. Every time they do go overboard, they seemed to get a good amount of media attention.

I agree with a lot of what the organization stands for. I don’t agree with its actions. And in this case, I believe PETA is making a mountain out of a molehill. The ad really doesn’t seem all that harmful or disrespectful. It’s an ad. And because of media attention, PETA is getting exactly what they wanted: headline news.

While it may help the organization with awareness, in this case, the coverage is completely uncalled for. PETA’s stance, in my opinion, isn’t really aimed at anything that would require media coverage. It’s funny that the organization is even protesting the ad considering that the article goes on to explain that PETA is launching its own “seductive” campaign in the form of a pornography site. This site will carry the same concept as the billboard ads, showing off naked celebrities to further endorse their message.

Really, PETA? Now isn’t that slightly hypocritical? It seems like the whole complaint for this ad was its focus on sex. Ingrid Newkirk even went on to compare it to “necrophilia.” However, PETA has been known to do the same thing. And thanks to an inappropriate amount of media coverage, their agenda has been pushed and has officially made headline news.

Newsworthy news should make news. Just because it’s PETA, doesn’t mean it’s news.


Sources:

0 Responses to "PETA Gets Offended"

Post a Comment


  • About Me

    Name: Amber Mullins
    Age: 28
    Location: Plano, Texas
    Concentration: Public Relations/Marketing
    View my complete profile