10:14 AM
If
Madonna was ever going to try and distinguish her reputation as not being a
diva, now is not that time. At the Venice Film Festival, a fan presented her
with a bouquet of Hydrangeas. While she accepted the flowers graciously, she
was not pleased with the gift, and she was not afraid to make that known.
Shortly after the fan walked away, she looked at someone off camera to her left
and gave an ungrateful eye role. Then, she turned to a person on her right, and
said words that had this video going viral.
“I
absolutely loathe Hydrangeas. He obviously
doesn’t know that.”
While
it is true that every person has their own personal likes and dislikes, Madonna
didn’t seem to even take the fan into consideration before expressing her
dislike for the flowers. The video was a testament to Madonna’s true nature and
a reputation that’s followed her around for years. The video went viral and the
entire World Wide Web was talking about the ungrateful remark by the singer. However,
the media didn’t seem to scold Madonna when they should have.
While
most of the web seems to be making light of the insensitive remark, I found
myself appalled by her reaction. Though the remark was uttered under her breath
and was supposed to remain among her colleagues, it was still apparently
audible enough for a video camera or smart phone to pick up the words.
The
flowers were a gesture and an attempt for the fan to show the pop star how much
her music affected him. He was a fan. Obviously, she didn’t care.
A
representative for Madonna, when asked if she’d planned an apology, opted to
give a playful response. He assured the media that the Queen of Pop had no
intention of apologizing to the flower that she loathes so much. OK, so if not
to the flower, then what about the fan?
No
one seemed to consider the fact that it wasn’t about whether or not Madonna was
going to apologize for not liking the flowers that she was given, but rather,
it was about apologizing for hurting the feelings of the fan who gave them to
her. It was tactless move that sealed my opinion in Madonna.
And
the chaos won’t stop. Madonna eventually released a video, structured to
resemble an old Charlie Chaplin-esq silent film, where she held a bouquet of
purple Hydrangeas in her hands. She hugged the flowers tightly, and mimicked a
sincere apology. In the end, however, she threw the flowers down, and the video
faded to black with the words: I’m still left with the fact I still loathe
hydrangeas. And I will always hate them!
This
video also went viral, and fans of Madonna responded according. The supporters
boasted and “tweeted” their love for Madonna despite her hatred for hydrangeas.
Maybe
it’s because I missed the playfulness or because I’m taking in consideration
the feelings of the fan—maybe it’s because I, myself, am not a fan—but I don’t think Madonna should
have been left off of the hook so easily. Maybe the fan who gave her the
flowers isn’t even taking the remark personally, but the fact still remains
that it was a thought remark that shouldn’t have been said. I wish I could say
that Madonna could learn from the experience, but with how easy the media and
fans let her off, it probably only served to encourage more of her behavior.
Blog:
0 Responses to "Madonna Shows Her Softer Side"
Post a Comment